Making a difference in the UK
Our global strategy
At Towers Watson, we recognize and understand the importance of supporting communities and protecting the environment in which we live, work and do business. Our overall intention and direction is to integrate the following commitments into our business strategy and day-to-day operations.
We are committed to:
- Making a positive impact through our matching gifts program contributions to charitable organizations focused on health and wellness, post-secondary education, inclusion and diversity, and disaster relief.
- Offering our associates opportunities to volunteer their time and talents or take on pro bono work to improve our communities.
- Minimizing environmental impacts and continuously improve our environmental performance, through:
- Reducing our greenhouse gas emissions by improving energy efficiency in our operation and reducing our need for business travel;
- Conserving and minimizing consumption of resources;
- Purchasing of environmentally-responsible products; and
- Minimizing the waste we send to landfill and promoting reusing and recycling of waste.
- Complying with applicable legal environmental requirements.
- Engaging and empowering our employees to participate and play an active role in our sustainability program.
To achieve our objectives, Towers Watson is committed to developing programs and initiatives for implementation across our global operation. We aim to set measurable targets to monitor and report our progress, enabling our stakeholders to track our performance in a transparent manner going forward.
CSR IN ACTION IN THE UK
In order to bring our global CSR strategy to life in the UK, we have taken the innovative step of establishing a CSR associate community. The community has around 500 members and a dedicated leadership team with senior executive sponsorship. This framework enables us to co-ordinate CSR activities across the UK, and facilitates sharing of ideas and experiences amongst our associates.
We are also delighted that Towers Watson has entered into a three year UK charity partnership with Barnardo's from 2015 and we are looking forward to working with them to raise money for this excellent cause.
Recent highlights include:
- In April 2013, 22 associates successfully ran the London Marathon, raising over £100,000 (after Towers Watson matching) for The Prince’s Trust and were awarded the prestigious Roadrunner award at the Prince’s Trust Employee Engagement Awards ceremony in November 2013. Read about our three year relationship with Prince’s Trust.
- In October 2014, 50 associates across the UK and Ireland climbed Mount Kilimanjaro in aid of Motor Neurone Disease Associations in the UK and Ireland, raising over £90,000 (after matching).
- Associates in our Leeds office raised nearly £50,000 (after matching) for Martin House Children’s Hospice through various initiatives including bike rides, cake bakes and raffles.
- A new printing strategy has been implemented across our UK offices, which is estimated to reduce our future paper consumption by 15%.
In addition to the positive impact the community has had on the organisations and individuals we have supported, the UK CSR community has also provided valuable opportunities for us to foster team building and associate connections, both within and across our lines of business and locations. This is a key advantage to us in achieving our aim of recruiting and retaining the top talent at Towers Watson.
Building successful relationships
Towers Watson has established strong relationships with a number of organisations on CSR in the UK and globally. Towers Watson works with Business in the Community (BITC), a UK-based organisation focused on facilitating sustainability and other responsible business practices. Through participation in BITC’s UK national day of volunteering, Give and Gain Day, we can broaden the range of opportunities for associates to use the annual volunteer day to which they are entitled under our global CSR strategy.
In selecting new suppliers, subcontractors and service providers, we take specific account of their commitment to environmental sustainability. We encourage this commitment through increasing our demand for and use of goods that are developed in a sustainable way, and contribute to a reduced carbon footprint (for example, carbon-neutral print supplies, recycled and sustainably sourced paper, and energy-efficient light fixtures).
We actively seek opportunities to engage with our clients on CSR matters. For example, we have provided CSR speakers at various events, including the HRC Academy International CSR Conference in Rome and the UK Pensions Conference, and we have participated alongside client representatives in various charitable activities. We know that by working together with other organisations we are able to go even further, augmenting the positive impact we are able to have on the world around us.
For further information on CSR at Towers Watson, please email CSR@towerswatson.com.