Continuing the development of our RiskAgility FM capital modelling and financial projection system, we have recently released version 2.2. This includes a number of exciting new features plus several enhancements and bug fixes throughout the system.
The key new features included in this version are:
- Bulk creation, editing and viewing of External Sources and lookups in the Input Manager
- Inclusion of detailed Project information in the audit report
- Enhancements to Team edition features
Input Manager enhancements
There have been a significant number of improvements added to the Input Manager. These changes have focused on the creation and management of External Sources and the associated lookups into those External Sources.
The main areas of improvement are:
Separation of the view of input/data pages and the External Sources in an Input Manager
It is now possible to view both the External Sources and the Input/Data Pages associated with an Input Manager at the same time in separate tabs (Figure 1). Until now, if you wanted to inspect the External Sources linked to an Input Variable, then you would need to switch from the Input Page view to the External Source view. Now you can have both views of an Input Manager visible simultaneously allowing you to get a clearer view of the inputs to your Project.
Figure 1. Viewing an External Source in an Input Manager
Click to enlarge
Grouping and filtering of External Sources
Grouping and filtering capability has been added to the External Sources. In particular Excel- and text-file-based External Sources are now automatically grouped by folder, then by file name. This enables, for example, the Excel workbook name to be changed easily while retaining the underlying External Source names (Figure 2).
Figure 2. Grouping of External Sources within an Input Manager
Bulk editing, viewing and selection of External Sources for Excel workbooks
In the External Sources view, it is now possible to see a list of all External Sources associated with an Excel workbook. It is possible to view and modify the range selections for each of the External Sources from a single screen (Figure 3). It is also possible to add new External Sources and delete existing External Sources from this screen (including deleting External Sources in bulk).
Figure 3. Management of ranges from a workbook within an Input Manager
Click to enlarge
Additionally, it is possible to generate a list of External Sources from the worksheets and/or global named ranges in a workbook in a single step by clicking on the Generate button. This will add new External Sources to the list already available for the workbook.
Bulk editing of lookups associated with an External Source
Often, a single External Source is linked to a number of Input Values in the Input Manager. When changing the lookups for one of these Input Values, it is usually necessary to also change the lookups for all of the other Input Values. The new Edit External Source Lookups screen allows users to change lookup values for a single External Source in one place (Figure 4). Users can use this screen to apply lookup values and features to specific Input Variables and Assumption Sets.
Additionally, users can also use this screen to switch the External Source selection for all of the lookups belonging to a particular External Source. This allows users to easily and quickly change the External Source used by a set of lookups in one step.
Figure 4. Bulk editing of lookups associated with External Sources 5 Insights FM
Click to enlarge
Audit report enhancements
The audit report has been a feature of RiskAgility FM since the first release. Until now, the content of the audit report has included only summary information about Projection runs. Starting with RiskAgility FM v2.2, we have added the ability to include additional information in the audit report when submitting Projections to run. This additional information includes details from the Input Manager, Output Manager, Run Manager, Code Manager and Wildcards used in the Projections (Figure 5).
The details available in the audit report include:
- A complete or partial Run Log for the Projection run
- Information from the Input Manager:
- Details of the Input/Data Pages, Assumption Sets, Input Variables and External Sources used in the Projections
- For the External Sources, the user can optionally include:
- i. Some or all of the contents of the External Source
- ii. The lookup settings for Input Variables to access the External Sources
- Information from the Output Manager
- Details of the Formulas and Variables used in the Output Definitions for the Projection run
- Details of the Period Definitions used in the Projection run
- Information from the Run Manager
- Details of the Run Pages, Projection and each of the Parameter Sets used in the Projection run
- Information from the Code Manager
- A list of the model objects included in the Model Tree for the Project
- Details of all of the formulas and variables included in the Project
- Optionally including some or all of the lines of code from each formula
- Information from the Wildcards
- Details of the Wildcard Sets and the Wildcard values used in the Projection run
In addition, if you are using RiskAgility FM Team edition, the audit report includes details of whether or not the Project has been modified since the Project was downloaded from the central Team Foundation Server (TFS) repository.
Figure 5. Audit report settings in RiskAgility FM v2.2
Team edition enhancements
RiskAgility FM Team edition now includes additional merge capabilities:
- Merging Input Managers at a granular level where the Projects being merged are not different versions of the same Project stored in TFS
- If, for example, there are different Projects in a given solution, this allows a user to take only part of an Input Manager included in one Project and merge it into an Input Manager of another Project
- Individual elements, including additional Input Pages, Assumption Sets or Input Variables, can be merged between the Input Managers of different projects whilst retaining existing values if required
- Merging between Projects where the source Project is not loaded into the current Solution
- Previously all merge activity between different Projects needed both Projects to be included in the current Solution. Now merging can include a Project that is stored on disk but not included in the current Solution. As part of this enhancement, it is now possible for all Project documents to be merged at the document level. Code Managers and Input Managers may also be merged at a much finer level than previously
- Job Monitor
- The Job Monitor is now Project specific; this means that users can view all Jobs submitted from the currently open Solution/Project, including Jobs submitted by other users
- The ability to delete Jobs and optionally the associated output files and working directory
- User Interface
- The ability to zoom in and out of all editors is now available
- Performance enhancements in the responsiveness of the user interface, particularly when scrolling in the Input Managers and Run Managers
- Performance improvements when extracting very large tables stored in Excel spreadsheets:
- For example, an Excel External Source file with 5000 rows and 40 columns typically took more than ten minutes to extract in RiskAgility FM v2.1. The same extraction takes less than five seconds in RiskAgility FM v2.2
- Enhancements to distributed processing capabilities, robustness and performance
- A number of other feature enhancements and bug fixes throughout all aspects of the system
- The ability to explicitly include additional library/directory information in Code Manager, allowing users to specify folder locations for files referenced in third-party header files
- Support of UTF-8 encoded string literals allowing, for example, users to include Japanese characters directly in code
- Introduction of a <*projection*> system Wildcard